Blizzard Bag II
Welcome to Blizzard Bag II. For this assignment you will use your powers of observation to figure out what type of power goes past your house, or is available on your road. You may use photographs to begin with but your work will be handed in as a labeled, hand sketched (schematic diagram).
Venture outside with your notebook, your cell phone, or other means, to gather information. Look at the wires on the power poles in your own yard, as well as those on your street, or on the road that goes past your house.
Don't have any visible wires? Where does your power come from? Safely, walk back to the last intersection, or the entrance to your subdivision, make note of where there is power coming from the main grid to feed your area.
Remember, these are observations that will result in a labeled sketch.
!!! SAFETY FIRST !!!
IF FOR ANY REASON THERE IS A POWER WIRE ON THE GROUND, HANGING LOW, OR OTHERWISE COMPROMISED, STAY WELL AWAY AND CALL TO ALERT YOUR LOCAL POWER COMPANY OR TO ALERT LOCAL AUTHORITIES.
Make note of, and sketch in the following information:
- Sketch the poles, and wires that go past your house.
- How many line wires are at the top of the poles? How are they arranged?
- Is there only single phase power on the street/road, or is there three phase power in your section of the grid?
- Where is the neutral wire located on the pole?
- How is the Neutral wire connected from the pole to your house/building?
- Locate the step down transformer that takes power from the grid and sends it to your house.